As the temperatures begin to cool down, I start to notice my skin changes texture. My face feels tighter, and my hands start to resemble sandpaper. Why? Well, we all know the answer to this question. Seasonal dryness.
Let's get ahead of things this year. Here are some tips and tricks to combat dryness often occurring in winter before it even starts.
Enemies of hydration:
The drier outdoor air of winter combined with the drier indoor air from running the heat do lead to a drop in overall humidity, in other words, moisture, in the air. This change can cause our delicate skin to become extremely dehydrated if we're not careful.
Signs of dry skin:
7 ways to keep your skin healthy & hydrated:
1. Moisturize after washing. When you wash your face or hands, the pores soften and open, which means they're able to receive moisture more in that window. So throw some moisturizer on right away.
2. Overnight treatments. Winter demands you step up your game in the moisturizer department. What might be enough to keep your skin hydrated in the summer is likely NOT enough for the winter. Opt for a heavier moisturizer or overnight moisture treatment.
3. Adjust your skincare routine to include more hydrating components.
4. Keep moisture in the air indoors by running a humidifier.
5. Dial down indoor temperatures. Hotter thermostat settings guarantee the moisture in your home will be consistently depleted.
6. Go easy on exfoliants and scrubs. These can be too intense for that outer layer of skin that holds moisture.
7. Drink lots of water! Staying well hydrated on the inside will absolutely show results on the outside.
Even making a few of these adjustments can give your s
kin a chance to breathe in some refreshing and revitalizing moisture this winter.
For more skincare tips, be sure you are following us on Instagram, Facebook, and yes, we have hopped on the TikTok wagon! You can find us at @rechercheorganics. Stop by and say hello!